If you are on social media at all you’ve probably seen the latest dance craze called flossing. Kids (and adults) are trying their hand at these latest moves. While we’re not discounting the fun dance, flossing for your dental hygiene is a vital part of your health, especially if you have braces.
Proper brushing and flossing are essential when having braces, as the number of hard to reach places in your mouth only increase with braces. Flossing is great for this, as brushing only can go so far. Flossing is one of the most neglected parts of dental hygiene. Flossing helps reach the plaque and tartar that build up over time. Without flossing, tooth decay, gum disease, and stained teeth are possible. You invested a lot of money into braces, why not guarantee that your teeth look great when they come off?
The benefits of flossing are far greater than the short time required to floss.
Here are some more benefits of flossing:
- Dental Hygiene: Ignoring flossing will wreak havoc on your dental hygiene. It is recommended that you floss twice a day. Tiny food particles get caught in between your teeth and braces when you eat. These pieces are almost impossible to reach with normal brushing. It is important to thread the floss through your braces and teeth to get all the bacteria and plaque out.
- Stronger Gums: Do your gums bleed when you floss or go to the dentist? Well, they shouldn’t. It is a sign that you are not flossing enough. Proper flossing will ensure that your gums are healthy, and your orthodontist is happy. Chronically unhealthy gums can lead to needing a root canal or worse, losing your teeth.
- A Brighter Smile: There is no better feeling than getting your braces taken off, and seeing your new beautiful smile. If you don’t floss, however, you are at risk of getting spots and stains on your teeth. Flossing ensures that when your braces come off, a bright and beautiful smile will be waiting.
Still not convinced? Orthodontist’s everywhere have heard every excuse as to why their patients have not been flossing.
Here a couple responses to those excuses:
- “I have sensitive gums” - There are many different types of floss, even kinds that are softer. Waterpik’s and similar devices can also be helpful. In the end, your gums might be sensitive because you don’t floss enough!
- “I don’t have time” - Flossing doesn’t necessarily need to be done from your bathroom sink. Single-use floss holders allow you to floss wherever and whenever! Whether you are on the school bus, sitting a lunch, or hanging out with friends, flossing can be done anywhere, and it takes less than two minutes. In a perfect world, everyone would be flossing after every meal.
- “I use mouthwash instead” - Yes, mouthwash is a great tool, but it still neglects the hard to reach areas. Plaque and tartar often stick to teeth and make it impossible for mouthwash to remove.
Flossing not only keeps you healthy, but it is a great way to ensure that you get the most on your investment. It is also never too late, or too early, to start flossing. Dental hygiene is attainable by everyone.
Innovative Orthodontics is proud to offer a personalized orthodontic care to the Savannah area. We work hard to provide you with the best orthodontic care and resources. If you have any questions, please call our office to schedule an appointment at 912-354-3474. You can also visit our website to learn about our team, braces, and what to expect when you come to our office!